Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks have partnered with BAHC (Bicycling Advocates of Howard County) and MORE (Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts) in providing classes that will assist all levels of cyclists. Classes in road biking are available along with cyclo-cross and mountain biking which can provide new and fun ways to alter your training routines. "Road Biking for Beginners" is recommended for first time triathletes.
Classes begin soon, so sign up today!
BEGINNER BICYCLING CLASSES
Howard County Department Of Recreation And Parks
With Assistance From
Bicycling Advocates of Howard County (BAHC)
Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts (MORE)
Whether you are a beginning bicyclist or are looking to brush up on your skills, the BAHC and the MORE have the knowledge to take you anywhere from the road to the mountains. Learn riding safety, equipment basics, repair and maintenance fundamentals, and essential riding techniques all while following one basic principle: It’s supposed to be fun! Cyclo-Cross consists of many laps of a short course featuring pavement, wooded trails, grass, steep hills and obstacles; bring a mountain bike or cyclo-cross bike. Road Biking and Mountain Biking include 2 hours for equipment check and riding (bring your bicycle for these courses). Bike Commuting is a classroom session/demonstration. Visit www.hcrpsports.com for course outlines. HELMETS MANDATORY.
· Look for the Rec & Parks catalog during the first week in August.
· Registration is limited to 50 participants per class.
· Cost will be $25 for each riding class and $10 for commuting.
· Online registration starts August 4, 2010 at 6:00pm. Online registration information is at: http://activenet12.active.com/howardcounty/
Go to current activities and biking courses are on Page 4.
· You can also register:
o By phone at 410-313-7275, Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm
o By mail to RAP Headquarters, 7120 Oakland Mills Road, Columbia 21046
o In person
· RAP Headquarters, 7120 Oakland Mills Road, Columbia 21046, M-F, 8:00am-4:30pm
· Glenwood Community Center, 2400 Rte 97, Cooksville 21723, M-F, 8:00am-4:30 pm
· The Bain Center, 5470 Ruth Keeton Way, Columbia 21044, M-F, 9:00am-2:00pm
CLASS TIMES & LOCATIONS
(All Classes open to 11 year olds through Adults of all ages):
· Cyclo-Cross for Beginners Rockburn Pk – Pavilion (Course Number RP9300.101) Sunday, September 12th 8:30am-12:30pm Cost $25
· Mountain Biking for Beginners: Rockburn Pk – Pavilion (Course Number RP9300.102) Sunday, September 12th 1pm-5pm Cost $25
· Road Biking for Beginners: HC Health Dept – Gateway (Course Number RP9300.103) Sunday, September 19th 8:30am-12:30pm Cost $25
· Bicycle Commuting for Beginners: Rec & Parks HQ (Course Number RP9300.103) Sunday, September 19th 1pm-4pm Cost $10